Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Sturmgeshutz and Sorcery

At long last, decades in the making...









Whew! The Germans still had powerful weapons with the machineguns mounted on the halftracks and probably could have wreaked more havoc yet, but the magician was still stalking around south of the river and he had the potential to damage the vehicles (though he was hiding, now being the ONLY target left for the halftracks south of the river). There was more that happened, but either I didn't have photos or it ended up not being relevant to the story.

  • There were two trolls south of the river, and the SS managed to blow one to kingdom come with a panzerfaust, but I failed to capture the moment. 
  • The squad on the bridge riddled the archer with bullets reducing him from his starting d10 skill to d4, making him virtually useless.
  • The Evil High Priest successfully cast Summon Insects late in the game (after failing the casting rolls earlier) and followed up with Curse which made it difficult for the AC crew to shake the effects for several rounds.
  • There were two mummies that got shot to pieces by machineguns.
  • The Germans had a medic with them on the bridge that allowed rank and file soldiers to use the Wound Save chart, but all three victims of arrows failed and were killed anyway!
So how did all of this work with Donnybrook? Actually great. I'll offer some ideas in a follow up next week, though I'm considering the commercial aspects of publishing supplements so I'm not sure how detailed I should get. Let me just say if you are an experienced gamer, working out mods for Donnybrook is not all that difficult. The vehicle rules are the hardest part and I'm not sure they are right yet, though they worked very well for my solo game.

In any case, it has been a near lifelong dream to play this out on the table and I had a blast! I'm looking forward to a second round with some of my friends.

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful read. I hope to see more comic reports in the future. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was bloody fantastic! I love these sort of genre cross over games. I played a RT one last year I think. I did a batrep of it on my blog if your interested.

    Your comic book style looks really cool! And your humorous comments throughout made it a real joy to read. I hope you'll do more in the future.

    Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys! The comic book style bat rep is a lot of work (as some of you know), but I think it works well. I'll probably do more in the future...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. Just awesome. I can remember being very young and reading the old Gygax article in Dragon magazine and loving it. Always daydreamed about turning it into a miniatures game so its a real treat to see you guys doing it, especially with such gorgeous minis and terrain. And the comic format just adds to the awesome! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was great! I didn't get a chance to play Donnyhammer with Airborne last month, but I want to even more now. The figures and table looked great. Very nicely done comic. My first few I did in GIMP but the amount of time it took me made up my mind that I'd rather let software do more of the heavy lifting. Comic Life 3 is clunky, but the work flow is much faster for me. The one thing I still need to figure out is an easy way to do figures coming out of frame. I hope to see more comics from, a great read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used CorelDraw, which is the same program I do all of my graphic work in (including the layout for Donnybrook, BLB, etc).

      Delete
  6. Oh, very lovely! Out of curiosity, do you recall a battle where a German in great coat with a peculiar headswap led an SS unit into battle with a unit of US . . . paratroopers? Army, anyway. US. Something or other. The SS Colonel had a rather squamous look to him. Somewhat flagellate about the mouth. Anyway, lovely lovely stuff!

    ReplyDelete