But back to Macekiller! I haven't gone as far oldschool as some by seeking out 80s era paints - I used modern GW paints and shades for this model. I have full sets of Games Workshop, Wargames Foundry, and Vallejo Model Color and typically draw from all of these ranges when painting, but for this model I stuck with GW:
Armour: Incubi Darkness (B), Coelia Greenshade (S), Kabalite Green (L), and Sybarite Green (L)
Hood and Shield: Zandri Dust (B), Seraphim Sepia (S), Ushabti Bone (L), and Screaming Skull (L)
Fur and Mace Handle: Dryad Dark (B), Agrax Earthshade (S), Gorthor Brown (L), and Baneblade Brown (L)
Steel: Leadbelcher (B), Nuln Oil (S), Runefang Steel (L), and Drakenhof Nightshade (S)
Gold: Balthasar Gold (B), Seraphim Sepia (S), and Gehenna's Gold (L)
Boots and Belt: Abaddon Black (B) and Skavenblight Dinge (L)
(B) Base (S) Shade (L) Layer
I decided to keep the design for this model fairly simple, without resorting to stripes, decorative trim, etc. I felt there weren't many surfaces on this model that would benefit from these. I added a few subtle cracks in the armor plates (right arm and right knee) by painting thin lines of Abaddon Black and highlighting the lower edge with Sybarite Green.
I really debated between basing the model in my usual method or going oldschool with the sand flocking and bright green, but I decided on the former. That way I can use them with existing models in my collection. The mushrooms are a nod to the oldschool basing and were taken from my bits box... I think they were from a Night Goblin sprue.
Next up... Gargog the Unstoppable!