Thursday, September 28, 2017

Oldhammer Army Challenge

Iannick (Of Marauders and Citadels) and Chris (Blue's Marauding Miniatures) have issued a challenge in the Oldhammer in the New World Facebook Group to build 1000-point armies in six months. The goal is basically to paint at least 200-points per month with one mulligan if you fall short. All of the rules are yet to be set out, but it seems a leisurely pace to me and while I've never participated in one of these painting challenges, even with my busy schedule I should be able to manage 200-points. It is set to kick off in November and it looks like we have at least one of every choice from the Warhammer Armies book!

So what to paint? I have unpainted armies of Dwarves and Slann. In the end the choice was really easy...

Clarence Harrison I'm in... Slann or Dwarves... I'll decide by November. I have unpainted armies for both.

LikeShow more reactions
Reply
4
2 hrs
Manage
Darrin Stephens You would paint some killer Slann

LikeShow more reactions
Reply
1
2 hrs
Remove
Iannick Martin Has to be Slann! We don't have them yet!

LikeShow more reactions
Reply
1
2 hrs
Remove
Tom White Please paint slaan!

LikeShow more reactions
Reply1 hr
Remove
Iannick Martin Clarence, the board of directors discussed your situation, and a decision has been reached : it's Slann or you're out.

LikeShow more reactions
Reply
1
1 hrEdited
Remove
Ben White SLANN!!! MAKE LUSTRIA GREAT AGAIN!!!!

LikeShow more reactions
Reply41 mins
Remove
Clarence Harrison LOL... Slann it is!

LikeShow more reactions
Reply
1
23 mins
Manage
Iannick Martin Fantastic. I believe we will have at least one of (each of) the Old School armies

LikeShow more reactions
Reply22 mins

So, yeah, that settles that! I have quite a collection of Slann with many in their original blisters. At the moment my pile of lead includes...

Hero (the only Alligator Warrior I managed to get so he is unique in the army and works perfectly)
Wizard (on a litter)

Bull Slann Riders x8
Eagle Warriors x18
Jaguar Warriors x8
Venom Tribe Warriors x11
Spawn Band Warriros x30
Slann Animal Handler w/6 War Hounds

I also have ten Human Slave Warriors, though not the oldschool sculpts. These are Wargames Foundry models from one of the ancient ranges (I forget which) that really look the part and will make a better looking unit than ten monopose minis.

So far I've managed to paint exactly ONE since I've started buying them a year ago...


Now I'll need to hold off until the challenge starts, but it will give me time to sit down and figure out some point values and make a plan. Up until now, collecting the army has been purely purchases of opportunity. I've never bothered to price out the minis points-wise or figure out magic items, etc. but I think I'm around 1300 points without standards, instruments, any 5th level unit champions (I would include these in elite units), or magic items of any kind. The range never had many models so I'll have to convert all of my standard bearers and any other characters I decide to field. Again the pace of the challenge will make this easy. Six Bull Slann Riders with Shields and a standard is 231 points (and light armor which is probably a must for such pricy troops adds another 24 points). Boom! One month done. While I'm at it, I'd paint the other two which is close to 300 points. The hero and wizard are easily another 200 points, even with modest 10th-level characters.

Off to plan the subjugation of the dry skins!

4 comments:

  1. Its great to see your enthusiasm! Looking forward to see your Slanns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to it - It's been too long since I've painted much in the way of fantasy models and joining your painting challenge seemed like good motivation to get back in!

      Delete
  2. Make Lustria Great Again for the win. I hope you have a source for lobotomized human slaves.

    ReplyDelete