Monday, June 20, 2016

Historicon 2016


Ok, not Oldhammer or Rogue Trader, but I will be running a game set around a sally during the Siege of Derry in 1689 known as the Battle of Pennyburn Mill. The rules will be Beneath the Lily Banners and for those who don't know, I am half of the creative team for that ruleset (along with Republic to Empire and Donnybrook). My partner in these endeavors, Barry Hilton (if you ever read Wargames Illustrated you know who he is) is making the journey from Scotland to join me. A good thing too as I am TERRIBLE at remembering rules! I'm liable to just tell you to throw some dice, pretend to figure in modifiers, and judge the results by the number of 1's and 6's I see (just kidding... well, mostly).


The shot above shows about half of the 4x8' table I built specifically for the event. The trees in the upper right corner don't go there. There is a low wall and a camp near that spot, but I was too lazy to dig those bits out and the trees looked good for the photo. If this is the first you are hearing of this, there are months of posts, WiP shots of the table, features on the unit and more at the League of Augsburg blog (of which I am also partially in charge of). There's a 'Historicon 2016' tag is you scroll down to labels - currently at 22 posts and maybe a few more over the next couple of weeks...


The game is small for BLB with 87 models for the attackers (plus a small ship with two guns on the side of the board you can't see here) and 113 models for the defenders (coming on in waves - they are terribly outnumbered initially). Most of the models are painted my me, though we have some detachments of single models that Barry commissioned as neither of us had the time to paint the additional models needed. I'm in the process of basing them all know so they will fit in well with the rest of the collection. I kept the scenario small to allow for a conclusion to be reached during the four hour session which will also include time for teaching the basics of the rules). The game is designed for three players per side, but if all of the games are full and extra people show up and want to get in on the action, we'll figure out what to do with them!


I know from Facebook and several other forums and blogs that several Oldhammerers (?) and Rogue Traders will be there and trying to get in some games. I regret that I don't think I'll be up for more games after eight hours plus set up and take down every day (don't think it will be safe to leave everything in the venue for long), but I'll try to stop by a game or two and bring some models to show off. I guess we'll figure out how to meet up somehow - maybe on the Oldhammer in the New World Facebook page? Certainly I hope everyone gets the change to come by the League of Augsburg/Quindia Studios game. I'll be the guy with the ponytail. If you introduce yourself and I look at you funny, try your blogger name - then I'll know who you are!


I am seriously looking forward to this! I'll be back to some proper wargame projects after Historicon...

1 comment:

  1. Good Luck with the games and I hope everyone can get together for a meet up. I can't make it this year, but maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete